Keeping Pets Safe During The Holidays

Decorating a Christmas tree? If you have a cat, skip the tinsel. Cats are particularly attracted to shiny objects, so they’ll likely try and play with it. Accidentally ingesting tinsel can cause gastrointestinal obstructions.

Secure your Christmas tree to the ground or the wall to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat climbs it. Better yet, you can deter your pets from the tree altogether by hanging lemon-scented air fresheners in it.

Many popular holiday plants, like holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and lilies, are highly toxic to cats and dogs and can cause organ failure and death if pets eat them. Keep all plants well out of reach.

Lights and glass ornaments contain toxic chemicals that cause internal irritation and bleeding. Don’t place decorations where your pet could potentially chew on them.

Watch those alcoholic drinks! It doesn’t take much for small animals to get alcohol poisoning, which can cause serious health complications.

We would be happy to help you further prepare for festivities with your furry friends. For more information on pet-proofing your season, give us a call at (713) 999-6095.