Pet Health Certificates

If you have plans to travel or move out of state with your pet, Garden Oaks Veterinary Clinic can help make your transition as smooth as possible! Our USDA-accredited veterinarian can issue both domestic and international health certificates to ensure your pet is healthy enough to travel and meets all necessary requirements.

As soon as you know where you will be moving or traveling to, as well as your estimated date of travel, please contact Garden Oaks Veterinary Clinic so we can begin planning and can make sure there is enough time to meet all animal export requirements. Well before your travel date, you will need to conduct extensive research so you understand and will be able to comply with the specific requirements set forth by your destination and chosen mode of travel. For instance, each domestic airline service might have different rules and regulations regarding flying with a companion animal. You’ll want to have a clear understanding of this ahead of time so there are not any last-minute surprises.

It is important to note that when it comes to traveling with your pet internationally, it can take several months and multiple visits with us to complete the necessary requirements. Some countries might only require minimal vaccines and a health certificate, while other countries require months of preparation, testing, vaccinations, and anti-parasitic treatments. For this reason, it is imperative that we begin the process as soon as possible so your travel is not delayed. You can find more information regarding your pet’s international travel requirements on the USDA APHIS website, or give us a call to discuss it with our experienced team members. Please let us know the moment you think you will be traveling. Requirements change regularly with airlines and in every country. Your failure to begin the process early can mean you have to delay, change, or cancel your trip. 

**Please note: Because Hawaii is considered a “rabies-free” state, export to this destination is treated very similarly to international travel. Once you know you will be moving or traveling to Hawaii with a pet, please inform us of your travel date and provide all medical records so we can ensure there is enough time to complete necessary testing and paperwork.