February 12, 2020
How to Save On Your Pet’s Dental Care …and save their teeth, too!
February is National Pet Dental Health Month—which gives us a reason to remind you that 85% of pets over three have some evidence of periodontal (dental) disease. It’s not just about bad breath: left untreated, it can result in gum inflammation, tooth loss, pain, and eventually, serious illness.
That’s why at Garden Oaks Veterinary Clinic, every month is Dental Month, and we have a standing, year-round offer:10% off dental cleanings scheduled within 30 days of an exam and recommendation from one of our vets! The actual procedure can be any time, it just needs to be booked within 30 days of the exam.
We also strongly advise regular brushing for keeping your pet’s teeth clean between cleanings, as it can help prevent more serious dental problems. We offer home brushing kits through our online store and our vets can help you learn to do this. In the meantime, here are some tips to get you started:
- Get comfortable. Instead of standing over your pet, try kneeling or sitting in front of him or her. Practice lifting your pet’s lip and reward with praise.
- Go slow. Start with rubbing your pet’s gums with your ?nger and letting them lick some of the toothpaste off the brush ?rst.
- Use toothpaste made for pets. Human toothpaste might hurt your pet’s stomach and they tend not to like the taste.
- Brush gently and only for a short time initially, increasing length each time you do it. When ?nished reward with lots of praise.
If brushing is a no-go for your pet or you’d like some added protection, there are some products we can recommend that can help prevent plaque and tartar build-up:
- CET Enzymatic Rawhide Chews – available at the hospital or through our online store
- CET Vegident Fresh
- OraVet Chews – one of our top sellers, this product creates a barrier against bacteria. Right now, you can buy 4 and get a bag FREE!
If it’s been over a year since your animal friend had a dental exam, or if your pet has symptoms like bad breath, head shyness, trouble eating, or you see blood on chew toys, don’t wait! Take advantage of our year-round dental special and make an appointment online or by calling (713) 999-6095.